Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Celebrating Sixties and Seventies Sitcoms: Part 2 - Gilligan's Island

One of my all-time favorite sitcoms is Gilligan's Island, the tale of seven castaways surviving on a desert island after being shipwrecked at sea. You know the theme song and the characters: the crew of the ill-fated S.S. Minnow: Gilligan and the Skipper (aka Jonas Grumby), the millionaires Thurston and Lovey Howell, movie star Ginger Grant, and "the rest" (farm lass Mary Ann Summers and Roy Hinckley, aka the Professor). Over three seasons, the castaways had to cope with oh-so-normal events that we all face (like radioactive vegetables, mysterious doppelgangers, and a giant spider). For a desert isle, Gilligan's Island also had its fair share of unexpected visitors like jet-setter Erika Tiffany Smith (Zsa Zsa Gabor), a mad scientist able to switch brains from body to body, a jungle boy (played by a very young Kurt Russell), warring natives, a Japanese soldier who hadn't heard World War II had ended, amongst many others.

But one of the most memorable visitors was famed Hollywood film producer Harold Hecuba, played by actor Phil Silvers. Hecuba lands on the island, takes over the Howell's hut, and promptly insults Ginger when she asks for a role in his next film. To showcase Ginger's talent, the castaways mount a musical version of Shakespeare's Hamlet in hopes of (1) getting Hecuba to cast Ginger in his next film and (2) getting rescued from the island. The castaways soon take to the stage: Gilligan as Hamlet, Ginger as Ophelia, Mary Ann in drag as Laertes, the Skipper as Laertes' dad Polonius, and the Howells as Hamlet's ma and pa. (The poor Professor, obviously with little or no artistic talent, is reduced to serving as narrator/host of the production).

The castaways perform three memorable songs during the production, songs that I've been humming and singing over the past few days. Songs that I want to share with you. Be sure to check out this video to watch Gilligan, Ginger, and the rest in action.

Now, a couple closing thoughts. First, a trivia question for y'all. As I mentioned, Phil Silvers played Harold Hecuba in this episode of Gilligan's Island. Phil's daughter was later featured on another popular sitcom from 1980 to 1984. Name her and that sitcom.

Finally, I have something to share that I haven't told too many people. For many years, I've had a recurring dream that I was the eighth castaway on Gilligan's Island, trying to educate poor Gilligan, helping Mary Ann with the cooking, dishing fashion with Ginger, counting money with the Howells, and lusting over the Professor (he was a hottie back then). I guess it was my secret wish to be one of the castaways, but who knows...with my luck, I'd probably end up stranded with the survivors of Oceanic flight 815, with strange four-toed statues and mysterious smoke monsters. Hmmm, but then again, I'd be sharing the island with folks like Jack, Sawyer, and the late, lamented Boone. Not such a bad idea after all.


4 comments:

Nathanael Green said...

Robb,

Enjoyed the post. I have to admit that I only remember Gilligan's Island from reruns when I was a little kid, but I loved it!

Robb C. Sewell said...

Same here, Nate. I was too young to catch the original episodes back in the 60s, so I caught the reruns. I just love the Hamlet episode.

Brian O'Rourke said...

I loved when special guests would stop by Gilligan's Island. The guest stars always made it off the island but the fates would contrive to have Gilligan and co. not be able to leave with them.

Hmmm, Robb your comment about LOST is interesting. Perhaps the writers drew some inspiration from Gilligan's Island?

Robb C. Sewell said...

Brian, I also loved when guests would drop in on the island. One of my fave episodes is when the mad scientist showed up and took the castaways to his island with a castle on it. And then proceeded to switch their brains from body to body.