Saturday, February 21, 2009

Creating Characters

Back in 1986, I began envisioning a story about three fifty-something sisters, eccentric triplets named Roxie, Boodie, and Lilly Buys (the surname in honor of my then best friend). Unfortunately, the Buys triplets went nowhere. For some reason, their story failed to gel. Thus, the story quickly fell by the wayside and the triplets settled into the recesses of my mind. Over the years, I thought about the triplets from time to time but their story once again failed to materialize. Then, in the fall of 2005, I was tasked with writing a short play for my playwriting/screenwriting course at Rosemont College. For some reason, the triplets came to mind so I decided to write a play about them as they paid their final respects to their deceased mother. I opted to drop one of the siblings and gave Lilly a new name: Chessie. The play took place at a funeral home as the sisters accompanied their grandmother to their mother's funeral. My professor didn't care much for the play, especially since Boodie and Chessie were depicted as less intelligent than their grandmother. He said that it wasn't realistic because individuals grow smarter with each passing generation...something I vehemently disagreed with. For pity's sake, just look at the past eight years for evidence that not every new generation is more intelligent than its previous ones. Mini-Me aka George W. Bush was hardly more intelligent than his dad. Nonetheless, after 19 years, the Buys sisters (now renamed the Sullivan sisters) had finally made their way into the realm of fiction.

But I wasn't quite done with the sisters. When I started writing my novel Beneath in 2006, I incorporated the Sullivan twins into the plot. They appear as minor characters in chapters that were set behind the scenes at a bingo fundraiser hosted by two brassy drag queens. Boodie (real name: Boudreaux) and Chessie (Cheshire) were seventy-something residents of Provincetown, the location for my novel. The sisters, who happened to be former lawyers and proud virgins, were best buds. Chessie owned a local bookstore while Boodie spent her days growing weed in her garden. Boodie was the more outrageous of the sisters, dressed as a mermaid at the bingo fundraiser, with tassels hanging from her nipples.

It was a delight to flesh out the sisters and to see them come alive on the page. And I'm not quite done with them. They were simply minor characters in Beneath, but they're itching to have the spotlight in their own story, which is starting to gel. The sisters have been inseparable since birth, but will that strong bond continue when a nerdy twenty-something man takes an interest in Chessie? I look forward to finding out myself.

7 comments:

Brian O'Rourke said...

Robb,
I look forward to finding out too! What's the status of the play/book?
-B

Robb C. Sewell said...

Hey Brian. No luck with the novel. I tried a few agents but none were interested. One loved the concept but said it's hard placing "gay fiction" these days. I'm still rewriting the play.

Joni Scanlon said...

Hey Robb,

Your characters are intriguing. I especially like the name change to Chessie and the mermaid/tassel wearing sister.

P.Sl Keep persevering!

Robb C. Sewell said...

Thanks, Joni. I loved creating the Sullivan sisters and have an idea for a story about them brewing and may even weave in the original idea of a third sister. I got the idea of having the one sister dressed as a mermaid because I actually came across a photo online of a woman dressed as a mermaid. I thought it would be perfect for the outrageous Boodie. I changed their surname to Sullivan in homage to our good friend Elaine Sullivan. She's in her 70s and is she just an inspiration...and nothing at all like Boodie.

Brian O'Rourke said...

Robb,

I don't have to tell you this but keep banging on doors. Somebody's gotta open up eventually, right?

-B

Nobi said...

I'm surprised that he can't find a place for gay fiction, as he put it. There are many sections in many bookstores, and I personally know a few rabid fans of it myself. Ignore the fact that I may be one in disguise.

Robb C. Sewell said...

I'm definitely not going to give up on the novel. I'm just going to focus for a bit on the play. I think I have a good shot at getting the play produced.

One agent was very positive about the novel and said, "This book should see the light of day." But she didn't think she could do me any justice because she said it's hard placing gay-related fiction these days. Other writers of gay books have told me the same thing.