Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Light Dims: The End of Guiding Light

Today, August 11, 2009 marked the filming of the very last episode of the daytime soap opera, Guiding Light. The finale will air on CBS on September 18, 2009. Guiding Light premiered on radio back in January 1937 and then began airing on television in June 1952. 72 years! What an amazing run!


As Guiding Light draws to its conclusion, I plan to honor this amazing show by blogging about the actors, actresses, and storylines that have touched viewers' hearts over the years. So many amazing actresses: Beverlee McKinsey, Tina Sloan, Ellen Parker, Kim Zimmer, Cynthia Watros, Mary Stuart, Charita Bauer. And outstanding actors: Chris Bernau, Grant Aleksander, Jerry VerDorn, Peter Simon. And captivating storylines: Nola Reardon's wild antics, the deaths of Bert Bauer and Maureen Bauer, Reva Shayne's escapades, Annie Dutton's reign of terror, Abby and Rick's love story.


72 years. Countless memories.


I hope you join me in the weeks ahead as I remember the greatness of this legendary television institution. As Meta Bauer (played by the late Mary Stuart) shared one holiday episode:


There is a destiny that makes us brothers.

None goes his way alone.

All that we send into the lives of others.

Comes back into our own.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sad to see the show go, if only because it means there's no hope left for a creative renaissance. Alas, for me, the show died many years ago, and the intervening years have been very painful, like watching a loved one bleed to death.

That said, I will be forever grateful to the actors who brought to life such memorable characters. This show truly was my touchstone through some really tough years.

My hope is that this cloud MIGHT have a silver lining and maybe P&G will start airing old episodes of GL on their HULU and YOUTUBE channels, thereby introducing an entire new audience to the show's true potential and glory.

Vanessa K. Wright said...

I'm so sad this show is ending. 72 years is such a long time to be on the air. It makes me wonder if networks feel soap operas have past their prime. First Passions, now Guiding Light! If Days gets the ax, I'm never watching daytime TV again!